House insurance

To insure your detached house and its outbuildings from €11 / month, whether you are an owner or tenant.

Why do more than 300,000 policyholders recommend Luko?

Get covered in 2 minutes

Download your certificate immediately

Compensated twice as fast

Simply tell us what happened

An artisan at your door in 2 days

Our network is always by your side in case of damages

Guarantees and claims covered

Discover the list of risks for which you are covered and customise your cover according to your needs to give you peace of mind when you leave your home.

Customise my guarantees
  • Water damage

  • Fires

  • Theft and Vandalism

  • Broken Glass

  • Civil Liability

  • Electrical damages

And always the locksmith, storm and natural disaster, technological disaster and terrorism breakdown cover, re-housing assistance and emergency breakdown assistance and the option of repayment when new depending on the amount of your personal property.

From €11 per month

Make an online quote to get your price in 2 minutes. The price depends on the surface area and location of your house. Then, it's up to you to customize your cover!

Check your price

Useful guarantees

Living in a house exposes you to different risks than living in a flat.

  • A house, by default, is on the ground floor, with easy access which increases the risk of burglary.
  • The pipes that supply the house (water, heating, electricity) are often buried, therefore less easily accessible and subject to greater risks than pipes protected within the walls of a building.
  • The larger your house is, the larger the roof surface will be: a roof is subject to many climatic stresses and can be damaged.
  • For the luckiest, you may have a garden, possibly a swimming pool, an annex, a barbecue, a garden shed... These facilities take up extra space and present additional risks to be covered.

This is why it is useful, when taking out insurance for a house, to make sure that your contract includes the "Theft and Vandalism" guarantee, often optional, as well as the guarantee to protect your exterior fittings. Also check the exclusions for damage to pipes and roof.

Is home insurance mandatory for a house?

You are an owner

  • Individual house: Optional.
    It is strongly recommended to protect the members of your household as well as your property. Without insurance, the homeowner is financially responsible for any damage that he and his property may cause to others, so it is best to take out insurance.
  • Condominium house: Mandatory.
    Made compulsory by the Alur law in 2014 for both owner-occupiers and non-occupiers in order to cover co-ownership even between two rentals of the dwelling.

You are a renter

  • Rental or a shared apartment: Mandatory.
    Whether for a furnished or unfurnished house, a certificate of insurance is usually requested before the keys are handed over. Exception: if your landlord has already insured the accommodation on behalf of the tenant, then insurance is optional for the tenant (payment via charges).In shared accommodation all members must be covered with the possibility of taking out insurance or pooling with a single insurer. All members of the shared flat must be covered for rental risks with the possibility of taking out insurance for each of them or pooling with a single insurer (simpler).
  • House occupied free of charge: Mandatory.
    Exception: it is optional only if the owner lives with you in the accommodation.
  • Seasonal rental: Not required.
    The owner may sometimes ask for a holiday insurance certificate when signing the rental agreement, to make sure that you are covered for any damage caused to third parties or the neighbourhood. This is usually included in your home insurance contract.
  • Corporate housing: Optional.
    Insurance is strongly recommended, even if not compulsory, as you remain financially responsible for any damage caused to others. Remember to take out at least Civil Liability insurance.

Risks incurred in case of insurance default

When you live in a house, insurance is only compulsory if you are a tenant. If you are a homeowner, insurance is not compulsory but is strongly recommended. Indeed, in the event of a claim, it is your responsibility to restore the dwelling to its original state and to compensate the neighbors who would be affected by your claim with your personal finances.

for tenants, not having insurance exposes you to eviction proceedings by your landlord.

Insuring your home: at what cost?

How is the price calculated?

The price of a home insurance policy depends on criteria related to your insurance profile, your home and the options you choose.

  • Your profile: are you renting or owning your home? Do you have a partner or children? Some insurances also ask your age and whether you have had claims in the past.
  • Your home: the larger the area to be insured, the higher the premium. Location plays an important role: if you are on the banks of a river, in an area with a high rate of burglary or close to factories with a high technological risk Finally, the number of floors, and the presence of "risky" equipment (for example a swimming pool or a chimney) will also increase the price.
  • Your options: the price varies depending on whether you choose to insure more or less property (this is what we call your moveable capital), whether you have a higher or lower deductible, whether you subscribe to a premium package or not...

Our advice for lowering your insurance premium

However, your insurance premium is not necessarily destined to increase to better cover you. In fact, there are a number of ways to lower your premiums:

  • Think about your coverage: if you have taken out insurance with a broker, he may have convinced you to take out coverage that you don't necessarily need.
  • Modulate your deductible: A high deductible means lower premiums.
  • Look at other insurers: have you taken out a quote with an insurance company that offers you the same cover as your current insurer, for less? He may be inclined to adjust your premiums so as not to lose an insured.
  • Finally, think about taking out insurance online. If they often offer coverage at lower cost, it's because they don't have physical agencies and therefore have fewer structural costs. This enables them to offer you very attractive rates without sacrificing quality of service.

Choosing the right home insurance

Now that you know your legal obligations in terms of insurance, as well as the criteria that define the amount of your insurance premium, you need to choose your level of coverage before you subscribe.

Choosing your level of coverage

Option n°1: subscribe to a minimum cover ("Legal minimum" formula at Luko).

This is the minimum level of cover which covers your civil liability (involuntary damage inflicted on a third party) as well as the accommodation in the event of damage due to water damage, fire or explosion. This formula allows tenants to fulfil their insurance obligation but will not cover their property.

Option n°2: take out an extended multi-risk home insurance policy ("Esprit en paix" formula at Luko).

This formula allows you to be protected for all claims under the Legal Minimum formula, but also in the event of theft and vandalism in particular. You are also covered for locksmithing costs if your keys are lost or stolen and includes assistance and re-housing services if your home is no longer habitable. Please note: additional coverage may vary from one insurer to another.

Why choose Luko?

Luko is the ethical, simple and fast insurance you have always dreamed of:

  • Easy subscription in 2 minutes entirely online
  • Reimbursement twice as fast as the average insurance company thanks to our digital tools such as video expertise.
  • 15% to 25% savings on average compared to other insurance policies with equivalent guarantees
  • No annual increase in 2019, 2020 nor 2021 to reward customer loyalty
  • Available and reactive customer service, every day, including evenings and weekends.
  • Prompt termination without obligation or notice
  • No insurer-insurer conflict of interest as the contributions not used to reimburse claims are paid to charities at the end of the year.

You have a hitch?

The right reflexes to prevent disasters

Home insurance gives you peace of mind in the event of an unforeseen problem. Nevertheless, we would all prefer to avoid having to call our insurance company one day. Prevention is better than cure! Here is a short list of things you can do on a daily basis to maintain and protect your home:

  • Have your roof regularly maintained: in a house, the roof is exposed to a lot of bad weather, which increases the risk of infiltration in case of bad maintenance.
  • Monitor the condition of your pipes and change the joints if you spot a drip, even a slight one.
  • At windows, occasionally check the condition of the joints so that you can replace them before risking infiltration.
  • All heating equipment (water heaters, radiators, boilers) need to be vented regularly (a boiler should be serviced by a professional plumber).
  • Check from time to time that your fire alarm is functional, as well as your safety device if you have one.
  • If you are lucky enough to have a garden, prune your trees every year and bring your swimming pool up to standard, especially if you have a heating system or if you have small children.

Frequent questions

  • Do I have to insure my house?

    Yes, if you are a tenant! If you are a homeowner, insuring your home is not a legal obligation, but it is strongly recommended.

  • Are all members of my family covered ?

    Yes, just mention them in the contract! At Luko, there is no extra cost when adding a beneficiary to the contract.

  • How do I subscribe online?

    It's very simple! All you have to do is answer a few questions on the Luko website and you are insured within 2 minutes. In traditional insurance, it is often longer and sometimes requires you to go through the phone or mail, but the processes are becoming more and more digital.

  • How can I lower my insurance premium?

    The simplest way is to play on the deductible: the higher the deductible, the lower your insurance premium will be. Alternatively, you can also go to an online insurance company that will offer guarantees equivalent to traditional insurance, at a lower cost.

  • How much is the deductible?

    At Luko, the deductible ranges from €75 to €300.

  • How long does it take to report a claim?

    The delay depends on the claim: for a theft, you have 2 working days to report it. For a natural or technological disaster, you have up to 10 working days to declare it after the publication of the ministerial order. For water damage, fire or any other type of damage: you have 5 working days to report it from the moment you notice the damage.

  • How do I report a claim?

    At Luko, it's very simple: just report it via the Luko application. With other insurers, you will either have to send an e-mail, call the claims department or send a registered letter.

  • How long does it take to get compensation or repair?

    Again, it depends on the claim! In the case of a burglary, compensation can be very quick, whereas in the case of water damage, you have to wait for the walls to dry out, which can take several weeks or even months. On average at Luko we pay you back twice as fast as other insurances and we send a craftsman to do the repairs within 2 days in the case of a simple damage.

  • How do I cancel my home insurance?

    Most insurances commit you for one year from the subscription and require you to give one month's notice of cancellation from the date of receipt of the registered letter. If you are insured with Luko, you can cancel at any time without notice by a simple click in your personal area.

  • What documents do I need to provide when subscribing?

    None! Well, this is the case for the subscription at Luko. In general, you will be asked to provide a bank details, a copy of your ID, a copy of your lease contract if you are a tenant and possibly a proof of income.

Get your price